Thursday, October 21, 2010

Scotty Jurek pimped my ride!

After dramatically declaring that I intend returning my shonky legs for a refund following discovery of imminent shin disaster diagnosed by the evil Dr Google, I have now concluded that I was wrong. Wifey does frequently warn me of self diagnosis using the net, and no amount of eye rolling and sighing dissuaded me this time from declaring that soon she would actually witness my legs falling off. To my delight, they are still there and the shin pain has gone. Turns out it was just mundane old shin splints.

But I did have some help, because finally I bought myself some new running shoes and oh for the difference they make! I ambled into the Hobart Sports Centre on my lunch break the other day and got a great deal on a pair of Brooks Cascadia 4s. I tried on a pair of the 5s but couldn't feel any difference for the extra $100 so went with the bargain of the day.

Thanks for the shoes...although the other guy, Arnulfo, beat Scott in a 50 miler wearing his huaraches

Took them for a test run yesterday and it felt as if somebody had strapped marshmallow-gorged kittens to my feet. So soft! But still with heaps of support. It turns out that long-legged trail god, Scott Jurek had a hand in designing the Cascadia's, and I figure he's man who knows a thing or two about shoes. So if he wants a pair of kitten slippers to get him up a mountain, then so do I. My test run was just intended to be a light 7km trot around the way but ended up beating my best time. The same happened today; I had to keep looking down at these alien legs pumping away like the clappers and ended up cleaving ten minutes off my 10km PB! Thanks Scotty, you truly pimped my ride! Apparently the new Cascadia 6 is coming pretty soon with even better cushioning. Marshmallow gorged polar bears? Maybe.

I would take an oath to never self diagnose again, but no doubt it wont be long before I'm thumbing through dog-eared magazines in Doc Google's waiting room again (make no mistake, more injuries will come, even with souffle stuffed bison fastened to my feet). I'll be all flustered over some obscure rumour claiming that shin splints give you dysentery and once again turn to poor wifey who will dutifully call the doctor before strangling me.

0 comments: